Thursday, July 16, 2009

Feeling so overwhelmed and helpless.

We had another speech therapy session yesterday afternoon. While he's making excellent progress, there's a lot of his new words that he's not saying correctly, and wanting to use his "backing" habit to say them. For example "boo boo" is "goo goo" and "block" is "grock". He's really picked up in the last couple of weeks most of his consonant sounds, but doesn't use them in all his words. He can say "shhh" to tell me to hush, but won't use it to say "shoe", it's "gyoo".

So, his SLP said that while he's still young and we can't make a definite diagnosis since he's really just now learning the consonant sounds, the backing process is usually seen in a phonological disorder. That's right: disorder. This for some reason bothers me like you wouldn't believe. Every mother wants for her child to be perfect, and the word disorder just seems to give him a stigma of sorts. While she said a phonological disorder (can I just use another word for that?) is usually outgrown by children it *can* lead to learning and reading problems later on without therapy. SOO... we're possibly looking at upping his therapy to once a week rather than twice a month.

Right now, this is only speculation, but just when I thought things were really starting to come along for him and his speech, I get hit with this again. More worry. More frustration. More tears on my part. I just want to do everything I can to help him, and I just feel so helpless with this.

He'll be starting a two day a week pre-school program next month, and I pray that being around other children his age will help him to "blossom" and learn to use sounds correctly. His SLP seems to think this can really help too. This is the whole reasoning behind putting him in there.

I just wish I could find the inner strength to handle this instead of letting it bother me, and help him. But right now, it's taking some adjusting I guess. I want to be able to play and talk with my child, not have to make all day everyday "mommy therapy".

1 comment:

  1. (((((HUGS))))) I'm sorry they use that word when describing something that is going on with your beautiful boy. I hate that word too. Who knows maybe being around other kids will make him catch up and he'll be just as perfect as you see him. Danielle is a great resource, get in touch with her if you need her.

    ReplyDelete