Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ramblings.

I just don't know why I compare. I hear all over the place, and I know this, EVERY child is different and develops differently at his or her own pace, but I still can't help it when I hear about another child "talking up a storm" and Carter isn't. Now I admit, he's doing soooo much better here in the last few weeks picking up a new word about every 2 or 3 days, but what about where I read by 2 toddlers are picking up 3-4 words A DAY?! WTF? He's not there. Yet. I know he'll get there. I mean seriously, I've not met an adult who couldn't speak, unless it was an actual impairment of some sort. So I know he'll talk sometime. And he is following the typical language development "timetable", just behind. Like now, he will repeat on command words that he knows, will spontaneously use the ones he knows in play and conversation, and is even putting a couple of words together here and there, like "daddy car" and "mama cup". And everyone once in a while suprise me with a new one out of the blue. I just wish it would happen more often than it does. Give it time, yeah I know. Yesterday at the pedi's office (he has roseola, BTW) he was given a Handy Manny sticker. We don't watch this one a whole lot, as it never seemed to be his favorite, but when he saw the sticker he goes, "heemee meemee" LOL. So cute. On the way home he would hold up his sticker and say "heemee meemee" to show it to me.

It bothers me too that I can prompt him to say something, and he will get mad at me for it by crossing his arms across his chest and saying "NO!" I take for granted that I can talk and think that he should too, but I have to remember it takes time for him to learn these sounds and using them right. A couple of weeks ago he couldn't use an /m/ sound, and now he does. And words that's he's learned the "wrong" way by assimilation (gog for dog) will also take time to re-learn, but this is something a lot of toddlers do, or so I'm told! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya honey. It's so hard not to compare especially when you see other kids who are the same age and ramble on forever. But our boys are special, they are giving us some time before they start mouthing off... :)

    ReplyDelete